Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Enemies to Lovers: A Wine Story



    You know the people who say that cheap wine from the gas station gets the job done better than the expensive stuff? That used to be me. I remember taking sips of my mom's glass of Merlot, lips puckering around the bitter taste. I would audibly gag, and the table would erupt into laughter:

 

"Damn Aidan! Must taste good aye?"

 

I would shake my head no,

 

"Who even really likes this stuff?"  


     Granted, these were from when I was an idiot underage drinker. Who really trusts the judgement of their 18-year old selves? If I listened to her I would've been married to a bigoted buffoon, living in a chateau in San Diego. Nowadays, my relationship with wine is more faceted. As a waitress- working at a local Brazilian restaurant and a fine dining Italian restaurant in Norfolk- I rely on a basic knowledge of wine for my income. Not only do I have to appear like I know what I'm talking about, but I have to be able to understand what wine would best suit a customer's palate and meal accordingly. It's not fun being asked why I recommended a certain Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, only for me to respond, 

 

"Because I like a Sauv from New Zealand."  


More time in the restaurant industry has enabled me to become more proficient in the language of wine. I can identify general flavor profiles of general wine varieties and do a perfect bottle service, but I have a lot more to learn. I hope that this class can foster my understanding of wine as an essential companion to a meal, how to communicate knowledge in an accessible manner, and to be better suited for a job I have a lot of passion for. 


     In general, I have a fondness for lighter, fruiter wines. A German Riesling, whether they be super dry or super sweet, is probably my drink of choice. I find the crisp, lighter nature to this wine to be refreshing and uplifting, especially on hot summer days. Dry Prosecco also fall into this category for a very similar reason.

 


Me enjoying a glass of Prosecco after dinner

I feel like drier Proseccos have an interesting dichotomy. Although there is a crisp edge, the bubbles allow the drink to really sing. Unfortunately, however, my palate is not as developed as I would like. While I may be able to drink a colossal, bold red without recoil- unlike my younger counterpart- I feel like I am unable to really appreciate the complexity found in these wines. Throughout the rest of my time in this class, I hope to explore, expand, and refine my palate.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti

Name: Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti Variety: Moscato Region: Piemonte Country: Italy Vintage: 2022 Price: $8.99 Winery Review "Wh...