Sunday, January 29, 2023

Tasting - Malbec: The Exquisite Collection

 

Title: Malbec: The Exquisite Collection

Variety: 100% Malbec

Region: Mendoza

Country: Argentina 

Year: 2021

Price: $7.99


Winery Review

"Repulsive. Don't waste your money. Fit for use in a tomato sauce with a sofrito base for a midweek bolognaise at best, otherwise, use it to unclog your drains. Sorry, this sounds snobbish but I was left with a dirty bitter aftertaste I could not get rid of after only half a glass which I choked down out of respect for the host. There are much better malbecs out there. You do get what you pay for though." 

- Alexander Jones on Vivino



Wine Folly

According to Wine Folly, 

"These entry-level Malbec wines receive minimal oak aging, delivering a much fresher and juicer style. Most have more red fruit notes..." (Page 126)

I could not agree less with this description in reference to this bottle. The book, likewise, describes Mendoza Malbecs to have spicy flavors that stem from red pepper. I find this profile to be accurate- as the finish was long and spicy- but the tartness truly buried any complexity the wine might have had. Although time and decanting allowed for this more fruity, dry character to be expressed, this wine proved to be way too acidic to be enjoyable in any way. 


My Review

I guess I don't know what I should've expected from an eight dollar bottle of wine. It was probably the worst thing I have ever had in my life. Thankfully this was a gift, so I don't have to cry about wasting my money on bottled motor oil. 

The smell was pungent, hints of dark cherry and plum; however, these moments of fruit were masked by an acidic stench. Full bodied and dry, this Malbec had an initial sting on the palate from this tart structure. Furthermore, the wine's finish made the experience so much worse. It has a bitter spiciness that drags itself down your throat, only prolonging the misery that is sipping this wine.

We initially paired it with a chicken tortilla soup. Surprisingly enough, the pairing made the wine slightly tolerable. The acidity was drowned out by the dish, bringing out the intended fruity, spicy notes. I figured this was a sign that the wine could be saved, so we corked it, saving it for the following night. It ended up being slightly better after having some air be introduced. The flavor was a lot less acidic- no longer stripping my tongue- but it still felt like a punishment to finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti

Name: Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti Variety: Moscato Region: Piemonte Country: Italy Vintage: 2022 Price: $8.99 Winery Review "Wh...