Sunday, January 29, 2023

Tasting- High Table Chardonnay

 

Name: High Table

Variety: 100% Chardonnay

Region: Vin de France

Country: France

Year: 2020

Price: $10.99


Wine Review

"This is an honest, unpretentious table wine that holds up well to a meal of sauteed crab cake and garden salad. There is a strong bouquet of grapefruit and a palate cleansing citrus that is quite refreshing. At well under ten dollars, this is an economical and presumably dependable way to make any meal complete." 

- Timothy Brown on Vivino


Wine Folly 

Chardonnays from France, as described in Wine Folly, are typically acidic and crisp. An oaky profile may or may not be present based on the region the bottle is from (page 97). The tart, chalky flavor profile being described in the book was apparent to me, but I feel like I was unable to detect any hints of oak or cream. It was suggested to pair these wines with subtle dishes- such as lobster- to bring out the subtle nature of this grape variety (page 96). I agree with this sentiment, and would like to try a pairing like this in the future to encourage greater complexity in a seemingly subtle wine. 

My Review


Typically I'm not the biggest fan of Chardonnays. Although this variety's finish goes down like water, I'm not partial to the balance between its dry and acidic notes. High Table, while being extremely dry, has a more mild flavor compared to other Chardonnays I've had. The faint hints of light bodied, citrus fruit bestows a crisp edge to the wine, giving harmony to a sugarless beverage. This wine would be a perfect compliment to a scorching beach day, I think the wine would be better suited as a compliment for a meal. The problem with Chardonnays, in general, is a lack of complexity. While I drank this by itself, I think my experience would have been more impactful if I drank this with a seafood dish. Perhaps the subtle acidic fruit in the wine would have been exaggerated, allowing for a more fulfilling tasting experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti

Name: Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti Variety: Moscato Region: Piemonte Country: Italy Vintage: 2022 Price: $8.99 Winery Review "Wh...