Sunday, March 12, 2023

Tasting - Broadbent Vinho Verde Rose


Name:
Broadbent Vinho Verde Rose

Variety: Azal Branco, Vinhao, Espadeiro 

Region: Vinho Verde

Country: Portugal 

Vintage: 2022

Price: $10.99


Winery Review

"Beautiful bright pink sparkle with a nose full of strawberry and melon. Not too dry. Not too sweet. Perfect little fizzy package."

- Kim Daniell from Vivino



Wine Folly

Wine Folly doesn't say a lot about Vinho Verdes, other than explaining it as a regional blend from Portugal: "A Regional wine blend from Portugal offered in white, rose, and red styles. The most popular style is a low-alcohol, fruity white with a touch of spritz" (page 184). This is the literal explanation of this bottle, but I don't feel like it truly encapsulates the profile of the bottle. Sure, it's light and bubbly, but this bottle has floral, citrus notes that balance out the inherent sweetness of the regional style. The acidity, likewise, allows this wine to be the easiest, most enjoyable wine variety I have had in a long time. 


My Review

Slight carbonation makes this bottle a crisp, light refresher. Although bubbly, the body was light and uplifting, the perfect pair for grilled chicken, caesar salad, or grilled fish. Perfect for a hot summer night on a restaurant patio, I found this to be one of the easiest bottles to drink by itself. Although it was fairly sweet, I felt like the hint of acidity from the notes of grapefruit balanced out the overall flavor profile in a soft, poetic fashion. My partner sensed some hints of strawberry in the finish, but I was unable to detect that on my palate. The finish was very floral, along faint hints of honeydew. 

I enjoyed this glass by itself, but I feel like more of the complexities on the palate would be revealed through food pairings. I've had few wines from Portugal in the past, but I feel like this might be one of my new favorite wineries. I will be buying more bottles from Broadbent. You know it's a good rose when I can enjoy the glass at room temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti

Name: Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti Variety: Moscato Region: Piemonte Country: Italy Vintage: 2022 Price: $8.99 Winery Review "Wh...