Sunday, March 5, 2023

Tasting - Buck Shack Cabernet Sauvignon

Name: Buck Shack Bourbon Barrel Cabernet Sauvignon

Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon

Region: Lake County, California 

Country: United States

Vintage: 2019

Price: $19.99


Winery Review

"Good solid Cab. No Bitter taste from the bourbon barrels. Good nose with dark garnet color. Hints of oak, vanilla, and dark red fruit." 

- Mike Greer from Vivino

Wine Folly

Wine Folly describes Cabernet Sauvignons from the United States to "offer more black cherry with lush tannins" (page 89).That dark cherry component, despite being a subtle kiss at the end of the finish, to be a fundamental aspect of the wine's tasting experience. (For better or for worse.) Although having a tannic quality, I thought the tannins were not as present as I expected. In fact, I was longing for that mouth puckering feel to make this bottle feel more complex and robust. 


My Review 

I think I was honestly fairly disappointed by this wine. Perhaps this is more so my fault, as I have been tainted by how elegant Freakshow was, but I cannot lie and say this was the most enjoyable experience I have had with bourbon barrel aged cabernets. 

What got me off guard the most was how sweet the wine was. It felt overly sugary
- mostly comprised of licorice, toffee, and faint chocolate notes- and the tannic structure wasn't able to really balance out these qualities. The wine felt fairly watery, lacking that velvety smooth finish that I have grown accustomed to. While the wine initially starts off with a sweet bite of toffee and black licorice, the finish hits you with a burst of cherry flavor. Dark cherry in beverages, I feel, can be slightly problematic for me because it feels more like drinking medicine than enjoying wine. Although this cherry flavor is more of a kiss at the end of the tasting experience, it brings down the holistic experience. Granted, I don't think this is the worst wine I have ever had. I just felt like I wanted a more bold, in your face yet elegant experience other cabernets, that I have tried, offered this semester. 

What was interesting, however, was the wine definitely got better with age and decanting. The flavors softened and blended together into a smoother, more complex flavor. That cherry present at the initial opening no longer combats with the overall profile. In fact, it feels a lot more complex and symphonic. If one were to purchase this wine- which for the price alone I would recommend buying Freakshow- I would definitely let this bottle sit and decant to evolve its tones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti

Name: Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti Variety: Moscato Region: Piemonte Country: Italy Vintage: 2022 Price: $8.99 Winery Review "Wh...