Sunday, February 26, 2023

Tasting- Freakshow Cabernet Sauvignon

Name: Micheal David Freakshow Cabernet Sauvignon

Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon

Region: Lodi, California

Country: United States

Year: 2020

Price: $19.99

 

Winery Review

“Charcoal and wood-smoke aromas melt into nicely concentrated black-cherry and dark chocolate flavors in this full-bodied, moderately tannic wine.”

-Jim Gordon from Wine Enthusiast


Wine Folly

“One of Napa Valley’s most notable features is volcanic soils, which give its wine a distinct dusty and minerally character. Wines from the valet floor tend to offer more black cherry with lush tannins” (page 89). Although this wine is not necessarily from Napa Valley, I find this characterization to still ring true. Some of the most integral components of this wine’s flavor profile is the fact that it is so tannic and smokey. While having those strong components, the sweeter, savory notes found in the dark fruit of Californian Cabernets allows for the tannins to not reign too strong on taste buds. Minerally, however, was not
a description I would use.

 

My Review

Freakshow has proven to be the absolute best wine I have had thus far. Before Freakshow, I honestly thought that I just might not have the stomach for red wines, but I was completely wrong. (Talk about a bottle to really open up my taste and appreciation for something I used to be so vehemently against.) Not only do the inherent smokey notes of this bottle act as a perfect pairing for a juicy cut of red meat, but I think this bottle can be perfectly enjoyed by itself.

Freakshow Cabernet Sauvignon is a bold, loud, dominating red that still has a touch of elegance that perfectly balances out these more brash qualities. Because of the equity in the flavor profile, I find this to be a versatile wine that can be enjoyed in almost any scenario. The flavors starts with a hard blast of smoke and ember, mellowing out at the finish with soft, velvety hints of dark cherry and plums. The person I sampled this with mentioned that they felt like there were hints of strawberry as well, but I wasn’t able to come to that conclusion. The finish, while present and strong, leaves the palate very elegantly. Unlike a lot of red wines I have sampled, I feel like nothing about this experience is too overwhelming. Similar to Time Waits, I feel like this wine is perfectly in balance with each other, resulting in a complex, bold yet gentle wine. At this point, I am borderline addicted to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti

Name: Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti Variety: Moscato Region: Piemonte Country: Italy Vintage: 2022 Price: $8.99 Winery Review "Wh...